Start EESA

  1.  To begin the EESA process, please follow these steps:
    • Establish your record with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).
    • Contact NCARB to determine the path of licensure you are eligible to take.
    • Check your jurisdiction’s requirements through the Licensing Requirements Tool on NCARB’s website.
  2. When the licensure path and jurisdiction requirements indicate that an EESA evaluation is needed, the applicant must request an invitation to apply for EESA. This invitation will also be hyperlinked within the Education tab of the NCARB Record.
    Please visit, or email for additional assistance in establishing your record, and checking jurisdiction requirements or licensure path eligibility.

  3. After receipt of an EESA invitation, the next step is to pay the EESA fee. The list of fees is available by clicking the Fees button at the bottom of this page. Upon remittance of the EESA fee, the applicant’s information is transferred to the NAAB. To complete the application, all required documents must be sent to the NAAB. To view the required documents, visit Submit Documents. Send your questions to

To complete an application for evaluation, the following documents must be submitted after paying the EESA fee:

  1. Academic transcript from each post-secondary institution attended either in a foreign country or the U.S. This document includes the coursework, earned grades and sometimes the credit hours. Evaluations completed by other agencies are not accepted.
    • It is the responsibility of the applicant to request an official academic transcript from an institution.
    • The original transcript must be sent by mail to the NAAB office, as well as electronically through this web page. Transcripts sent by the institution in a sealed envelope, do not need to be sent electronically.
    • Notarized copies will be accepted if the original is not available.
    • If the transcript is not issued in English, a translation completed by a certified translation service is required to be sent along with the original (or a notarized copy of an original) transcript.
    • Transcripts requested from U.S. institutions must be sent in an envelope sealed by the institution.
    • Applicants that have submitted official transcripts to National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), may request that NCARB forward those transcripts to the NAAB for evaluation.
    • Official transcripts should be mailed to: NAAB, c/o EESA, 1735 New York Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20006.
  2. Descriptions of all courses taken from each post-secondary institution: This document must include a paragraph or two explaining the objective and outcomes of each course, and the credit hours or contact hours per week. Bound or stapled materials are not accepted; please use clips or bands.
    • The institution should provide the course descriptions.
    • If the course descriptions are available on the institution’s website, combine them into one PDF. For verification, please include the link of each web page visited to download the course descriptions.
    • Course descriptions must be submitted electronically unless they are mailed in a sealed envelope from the institution.

Submit Documents

An EESA evaluation report identifies the areas of the NCARB Education Standard that have been assessed as:

  • met (additional examinations and/or coursework are not required)
  • deficient (additional examinations and/or coursework are required)

An evaluation report outlines deficiencies in meeting the NCARB Education Standard and requires that the applicant successfully complete additional coursework and/or pass examinations to satisfy those deficiencies. The NAAB evaluates applicants’ education credentials based on the current version of the NCARB Education Standard. Coursework taken to satisfy deficiencies is evaluated based on the version of the Education Standard used in the original evaluation.

Applicants must satisfy all deficiencies before the effective date of the next NCARB Education Standard or pay a re-evaluation fee. A re-evaluation uses the newest version of the Education Standard. Please review the NCARB Education Guidelines to determine acceptable topics for each subject area and category. Courses must be pre-approved by the NAAB and be taken at regionally accredited institutions. 

Regional accreditation indicates that an institution has undergone a review of its educational offerings and met the standards of quality established by an accrediting agency. These agencies are recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

The seven regional accrediting agencies currently recognized by the USDE and CHEA are:

  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

To confirm whether an institution is regionally accredited, visit the CHEA database of accredited institutions and follow the instructions:

  1. Enter the name of the institution and click “Search’”.
  2. Click on the institution’s name in the “Institution” column.
  3. Confirm the “Institutional Accreditation” agency displayed matches one of the seven agencies listed above. After confirming if the institution is regionally accredited, you may submit your request for course pre-approval.

Applicants must request pre-approval from NAAB before enrolling in a course or registering for an examination. Below are instructions on how to satisfy deficiencies based on the subject area and category:

  • General Education 
    To satisfy deficiencies in General Education, relevant coursework taken at regionally accredited institutions or examinations offered through the College Level Examination Program are accepted.
  • Design/Building Practices
    To satisfy deficiencies in Design or Building Practices, relevant coursework taken at regionally accredited four-year institutions that offer a professional or a pre-professional degree in architecture is accepted. Courses taken at a community or junior college are NOT acceptable for satisfying deficiencies in Design or Building Practices.
  • History and Theory and Human Behavior/Professional Practice/Optional Studies 
    To satisfy deficiencies in History and Theory and Human Behavior; Professional Practice; or Optional Studies relevant coursework at a regionally accredited institution is accepted.

Submit a Pre-approval Request